Sunday, February 15, 2009

DJ Interview: DJ Sir Bingz of Jamdown


When you think of a Caribbean party what is the first thing that comes to your mind? I don't know about you, but loud music is my first response. Every Caribbean party will have music playing, the music is what sets the vibe and most people go to the parties to dance. I interviewed DJ Sir Bingz for this post so you guys out there can get to know more about one the best Caribbean DJs in the Baltimore area.

Sir Bingz, who is one of the founding members of the DJ and promotion group Jamdown, has been playing at Caribbean parties since 1991. He says his best quality is that he is versatile and is comfortable playing any kind of music to any type of crowd.

I can attest to this. I first met Sir Bingz at a party he was playing at. I danced all night to old and new songs of dancehall and soca. He was so good that I asked him for his business card, and have used his services for one of my own parties.

Since Bingz has knowledge about Caribbean events in this area he was an ideal person to find out where parties are, who promote them and in his opinion of the scene.

Q:Where is the hottest Caribbean night spot in the Towson, Baltimore area?
A: "The Blue Caribbean."
The Blue Caribbean located on 5402 Park Heights Ave. Baltimore, Md.
Q: What promoters throw the best parties in this area?
A: 'Lone Star Promotions, Rebels Promotions and Jamdown Promotions."
Q: When and Where will you be playing next?
A: "At the Blue Caribbean, I am there every Thursday night."
Q: Describe the patrons of these parties, are they diverse?
A: "Yes it is diverse. There are people from different Islands, African Americans, Africans and even some English."
Q: In your opinion, what cultural effects do Caribbean events have on the Towson, Baltimore area?
A: "It definitely brings diversity to the area. It helps people from different cultures and backgrounds interact in a social environment."

I wanted to ask him more questions but he was in the middle of giving someone a haircut, so I didn't want to distract him to much.

www.jamdownworldwide/myspace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment